- Boutique: Unique in style, design-centric, either independent or affiliated with a smaller brand system, with 40 to 300 guestrooms.
- Lifestyle brands: Prescribed franchised products that are adapted to reflect current trends.
- Soft brands: Individualized hotels that give owners and operators the opportunity to affiliate with a major chain distribution while retaining their unique design, name and orientation.
- most are select-service but with some café or bar option;
- most have lounges they market to local residents; and
- many have small meeting spaces.
According to the report, “this is reflected in more food-and-beverage revenue than typical for a select-service hotel, and a higher proportion of beverage revenue than typical for traditional hotels.”